Monday, May 2, 2016

In-Class Questions to the First Volume of Authority

     1.     Are there any prominent symbols in the story? If so, what are they? How are they used?

There are some symbols used in the story, one of those being of circle acting as though it were a cultish symbol. It seemed to be likely the symbol of the antagonist/ villain of the comic series. Speaking in terms of subliminal symbolism, I did notice that some of the super heroes look very similar to those of the Justice League of D.C. comics. Now that might just be an over analyzing that but it was something I did notice. Another symbol, which was talked about in a film shown in class, was the idea of superheroes as being a sort of shaman. They all hold this responsibility of acting like god-like beings while holding shaman-like traits. In a couple of pages, Jenny talks about the previous doctor encountering the “Shaman” and not being able to handle the encounter. Somehow this seems to symbolize that not every person in power can hold this spiritual responsibility

2.     What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.

Now with personal connections, I honestly had none. However as I stated in the last question I noticed a connection to the Justice League/ Friends. If you analyze the characters from the first volume we have Hawksmoor (a Hawkwoman-like spin off character), Jenny (who reminds me of a Wonder Woman with the British flag making up her outfit instead of a U.S. flag look), Angie Spica (a female version of Martian), and of course the obvious Apollo and Midnighter (Superman and Batman). I found these kinds of connections to be really clever and take me back to when I was completely obsessed with the original cast of characters these ones play off on.

3.     What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?


For me I honestly would not make a change, seeing as what the story is trying to do is play off of characters most of us have become familiar with and setting them into a more violent and dramatic situation, that being the situation of war. Now that being said, if that’s the point it is trying to get across, I would leave it as it is. However I can see this being adapted to a film or a television series. I think the only thing I would consider changing is making a couple of the names of certain characters like Jenny or Angie Spice to make it obvious as to who they portray and parody in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment