Sunday, May 1, 2016

Contemporary Comics

Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot

            While reading this comic I have to say I was pleased with the style, set up, and its sub-genre. What most people might think of as slow paced and boring, I find to be interesting as a small taste of local history in Sunderland, United Kingdom. In more specific detail, the book goes over the history of a well-known famous theatre in the area as well as the historic origins of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland.
            The artwork was very unique and almost seemed to be constantly changing. When the narrator was transitioning into a ‘flashback’ or talking about a different time period something about the drawings would change slightly. Be it simple or with more detail than the last, it changes to visually tell the reader that the setting has changed without any text saying so. The same can be said when the fourth wall breaks when the author comes in to further narrate for the character in the auditorium and, of course, the reader. What’s even more humorous and pushes the fourth wall even further is when another comic is introduced within the comic. I found it to be very clever and funny. I would recommend this to anyone who either loves history or wants to learn history with some visuals to go along with it.

Day Tripper by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon

            I decided to read this briefly after reading Alice in Sunderland. I found myself to enjoy this comic a lot! It holds a captivating story, and a very precedent style.
The story revolves around an author. He self reflects and realized that over time his writings that used to revolve around subjects of life now are stories about death. The main character also recognizes that he lives under his father’s shadow as a fellow writer.

Now unfortunately I couldn’t read more than the first issue since the files of the other volumes are incompatible with my computer. I’m left on a cliff hanger dying to know what will happen next!

No comments:

Post a Comment